College and Career Information
Virtual College Campus Tours:
If you are unable to physically visit a campus, you could take a virtual tour.
Many college campus website have virtual tours
TEXAS Grant (Toward EXcellence, Access and Success Grant Program) – The Texas Legislature established the TEXAS Grant to make sure that well-prepared high school graduates with financial need can go to college
EXPLORE & RESEARCH CAREERS & MAJORS
- TEXASGenuine – Not Sure of Your Career Interests? Take the TEXASgenuine assessment and Find Your Future
- Texas GEAR UP– Explore resources to answer college questions, watch videos of kids who've overcome some of the same challenges you may be facing, get the full scoop on your dream career, and more.
- Texas Career Check – Explore careers and interests; education opportunities, etc.
- Texas Reality Check – Will you be able to afford the lifestyle you want? It's difficult to predict the future, but it's never too early to start planning for it. Texas Reality Check will show you how much your living expenses will cost, and the amount of money you will need to earn to pay for them. Explore careers and learn Texas average pay and average need for each. Then learn what you need to do and what schooling is needed.
- Explore Careers – BigFuture/College Board – Majors that match interests
- Explore Careers – CareerOneStop – What kind of career will fit you best?
- Career Finder – Links your College Board (SAT/PSAT). Career Finder is available to any student with a College Board account. The tool is optimized for mobile but also available on desktop. Once a student consents to link their account with Roadtrip Nation, they’ll answer a few quick questions about what they like and start exploring careers of interest.
- My Next Move – Search careers with keywords, browse careers by industry, find careers that match your interests and training.
- Career Ship – Online career exploration. Match your career interests and review careers by cluster.
- Career Assessment (through Lamar University) – Unsure of what you should major in or what career path you should take? Take the Focus2 Career Assessment! Explore majors, get assistance with academic major selection or course selections, explore occupations. The career assessments help you to identify career fields that pertain to your specific interest, value and skills sets.
- https://www1.thecb.state.tx.us/ – Take an important first step toward a college degree and a brighter future. From smarter study habits and career exploration to paying for tuition, tips, tools and resources will help prepare for college success.
- Careers.org – in-depth occupation profiles for thousands of careers, which contain specific information including: the nature of work; average earnings; underlying training and education; related occupations; and corresponding academic programs
- Careers – Houston Chronicle – Click “More” on the right to see a large number of careers with information about training, job outlook, etc.
- Career Profiles – Explore thousands of careers and occupations organized by field and specialty.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook – Search occupations for national information on jobs, training and education, pay, and job prospects for a wide range of occupations.
- Explore Business Careers – Explore Business, Finance, Accounting, etc., careers. Includes SAT/ACT Prep info, studying in college, scholarship & grant opportunities, finding the right college to attend, and more.
- Explore Health Careers – Includes Allied Health careers, Chiropractic, Dentistry, Forensic Science, Mental Health, Nursing, Nutrition, Optometry, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Sports Medicine, Vet Medicine, and more!
- Explore Nursing Schools and Programs throughout the country.
- Choosing a Medical Career – Explore medical career options, ways to get experience, inspiring stories, expert advice, and more, to help you choose your path to medicine.
- Explore Engineering Careers – Each specialty includes the definition and nature of the work, employment trends, and career advancement opportunities. Site includes colleges/universities with engineering programs.
- Engineering Job Information
- Explore Law Careers – Attorney, Border Patrol, Coroner, Correctional Officer, Criminal Investigator, Customs Agent, Detective, Fish & Game, Game Warden, Law Enforcement, Parole Officer, Social Work, and more!
- What College Major or Career is Best for You?
- What Can I Do with This Major?
- What Can I Do with This Major? (through the University of Mary Hardin Baylor)
- What Can I Do with a Major in… (through the University of North Carolina Wilmington)
- What Can I Do with a Major in…..? career database, salary calculator, top 10 lists, video library, browse industries, colleges and degrees, etc.
- Explore how your high school endorsement MAY continue into college majors and careers. Check out how you could continue in this interest at Lamar University.
RESEARCH and COMPARE COLLEGES & MILITARY OPTIONS
The most important thing to remember about preparing for college is to start as soon as possible. It’s never too early to begin gathering information and to create a step-by-step plan. Here is information to help you get going, with info about choosing a college, the tests you need, the costs you can expect and more.
- College for All Texans
- Compare Colleges in Texas
- Compare Texas Colleges and Universities – admission requirements, tuition and budget summaries, available financial aid resources and application deadlines
- Colleges by State – colleges organized by state - Each state page has a list of colleges, college information, and information regarding online and traditional programs
- College Affordability Guide – Texas Colleges
- College Planning Timelines – For Students and Parents, by grade level
- College Bound Mentor – Positioning high school students for the right college
- Colleges With Programs For Students With Learning Disabilities
- College Confidential – World’s largest college forum – test prep, financial aid, admissions, essays, majors, parents, etc.
- Peterson’s – info to find, get in, & pay for college
- College Board – College Search
- BigFuture-Get Ready for College – College Board
- Unigo – College Search, Stats, Reviews
- College Navigator – National Center for Education Statistics
Interested in playing College Sports?
- NCAA Eligibility Center
- High School Information, Deadlines, Requirements, etc.
- 2020-2021 Guide for College-Bound Student Athlete
Five U.S. Service Academies:
- The United States Military Academy (USMA) - West Point, New York
- The United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) - Colorado Springs, Colorado
- The United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) - New London, Connecticut
- The United States Naval Academy (USNA) - Annapolis, Maryland
- The United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) - Kings Point, New York
Links to the homepage of several
Texas College & University Websites
ApplyTexas form can be used for undergraduate admission at any of the above universities.
Texas College & University Websites
Admission Requirements, Application Deadlines, Financial Aid Requirements and Deadlines
SPECIFIC UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE WEBSITES BELOW
Links to College/University Homepage, Admission Requirements, Admission Applications, Catalog
ApplyTexas – Online Application form is a one-stop shop for applying to a public university or community college in Texas.
Common Application – Online Application form for 12 Texas colleges/universities and those in other states